Beef-And-Vegetable Pot Pie (Mccall's Cooking School)
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 30mins
- 3 lbs boneless beef chuck, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed beef consomme, undiluted
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 6 whole black peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 12 small white onions, peeled
- 1 lb carrot, pared and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 4 medium potatoes, pared and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen green beans
- 1 cup frozen green pea
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (9 1/2 ounce) package ready-to-bake refrigerated buttermilk flaky biscuits
- 1 egg yolk, beaten with
- 1 tablespoon water
- Wipe beef cubes with damp paper towels; discard excess fat. In hot oil in 6-quart Dutch oven or heavy kettle, over medium heat, brown one-third of beef cubes at a time until browned on all sides. Remove from pot and repeat until all beef is browned. Remove all beef from pot.
- Add garlic to drippings in pot; saute 1 minute. Return all beef to pot; add undiluted consomme, tomato sauce, salt, thyme, peppercorns, bay leaf, Worcestershire sauce and 1 1/3 cups water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover pot and simmer for 1 hour. Remove bay leaf.
- Add whole onions to meat mixture; cover pot and simmer for 30 minutes longer. Add carrots and potatoes to meat mixture; simmer about 30 minutes longer or until they are tender. Add frozen beans; cook 4 to 5 minutes. Add frozen peas; cook 4 minutes longer. Preheat oven to 400°F.
- With a slotted spoon, remove meat and vegetables to a 3-quart casserole. Strain liquid into a 4-cup measure; skim off and discard fat. You should have 2 cups liquid left. (Add water if needed.) Return liquid to Dutch oven. In a small bowl, gradually blend flour with 1 cup water.
- Stir flour mixture into liquid; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until gravy thickens. Pour over meat mixture in casserole. Place in oven; bake 25 minutes. Meanwhile, remove biscuits from package; roll one to make a 10-inch-long rope.
- Repeat with other biscuits to make a total of 7 ropes; place on meat mixture in casserole to form a lattice. Place remaining 3 biscuits alongside. Brush ropes with egg-yolk mixture and bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!