Beef and Parsnip Stew
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
This is a hearty and yummy stew--the smell is to die for.
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄4 lbs beef stew meat, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 ounces peeled baby carrots
- 2 parsnips, peeled and cut into 3/8-inch slices
- 3⁄4 cup sugar snap pea
BEEF STOCK (use 4 1/2 cups)
- 4 lbs meaty beef bones
- 2 large onions, cut into wedges
- 2 large carrots, halved
- 4 celery ribs, halved
- 3 1⁄2 quarts cold water, divided
- 8 sprigs fresh parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 6 black peppercorns
- 3 whole cloves
- Preheat oven to 450°F
- Rinse bones in cold water. Place bones in large roasting pan; roast in oven 30 minutes, turning once.
- Arrange onions, carrots and celery over bones. Roast 30 minutes more.*.
- Transfer bones and vegetables to stockpot or 5-quart Dutch oven. Skim and discard fat from roasting pan.
- To deglaze roasting pan, add 2 cups water to pan. Cook over medium-high heat, scraping up brown bits and stirring constantly 2 to 3 minutes or until mixture has reduced by about half. Transfer mixture to stockpot.
- Add remaining 3 quarts water, parsley, bay leaves, thyme, peppercorns and cloves to stockpot. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer, uncovered, 3 to 4 hours, skimming foam off top occasionally.
- Remove stock from heat; cool slightly. Remove large bones. Strain stock through large sieve or colander lined with several layers of damp cheesecloth set over large bowl; discard bones and vegetables.
- Use immediately or refrigerate stock in tightly covered container up to 2 days or freeze stock in storage containers for several months.
- *For added zip, spread 3 ounces tomato paste over bones at this point. Roast an additional 15 minutes. Proceed as directed in step 3.
- Beef Stock.
- AFTER BEEF STOCK IS MADE continue with the stew by tossing beef in flour to coat. Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add beef and remaining flour; brown, stirring frequently.
- Stir in Beef Stock, wine, salt, Italian seasoning and pepper. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer, uncovered, 1 hour.
- Add carrots. Cook 15 minutes. Add parsnips. Simmer 8 minutes or until vegetables and meat are tender.
- Stir in peas. Cook and stir over medium heat until heated through.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION