Beef and Mushroom Barley Soup
- Ready In:
- 1hr 50mins
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 3⁄4 lb beef stew meat, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced (about 1 1/2 c.)
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 stalks celery, diced (about 1/2 c.)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (about 2 teaspoons)
- 6 cups low sodium beef broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, with their juices
- 1⁄2 cup hulled barley or 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh thyme (or 1 t. dried)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- In a big soup pot, heat 2 teaspoons oil over med-high heat.
- Sprinkle the meat with the salt and pepper.
- Add meat to the pot and brown on all sides, about 5 minutes total.
- Transfer the meat to a paper towel-lined plate and set aside.
- Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil to the pot; add in the onion and mushrooms; cook over med-high heat, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the carrots, celery, and garlic and cook for 5 minutes more, stirring occasionally.
- Add the broth, tomatoes, browned meat, barley, and thyme and bring to a boil.
- Decrease heat to low, cover, and simmer until the barley is cooked and the meat is tender, about 50 minutes.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle into soup bowls and garnish each serving with a sprinkling of parsley.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!