Beautiful Borscht Salmon
photo by PaulaG
- Ready In:
- 1 firm ripe beet (8 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup shallot, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup carrot, chopped
- 2 tablespoons celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup napa cabbage, chopped (packed)
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup canned broth (beef, chicken, or vegetable)
- 1 small bay leaf
- 4 peppercorns
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh dill, finely chopped (or 1/2 teaspoon dried dill)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons creme fraiche
- 8 salmon fillets
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- coarse ground garlic salt
- fresh cracked black pepper
- additional creme fraiche
- additional sprigs fresh dill
- Step 1 is good to do in advance. Place beet in a pot of boiling water and cook uncovered 15 minutes until semi-tender; remove from heat, cover pot, and allow beet to steam another 15 minutes; remove beet from hot water with slotted spoon; once cool, peel and dice beet.
- Steps 2 and 3 may also be done in advance. Saute aromatic shallots, carrot, and celery in olive oil until semi-tender; stir in cabbage and garlic; add diced beet, broth, bay leaf, and peppercorns; adjust heat, cover pot and gently simmer for one half hour until vegetables are tender.
- Remove from heat; discard bay leaf and peppercorns; add salt, dill, and red wine vinegar; puree sauce in blender or food processor until smooth; stir in crème fraiche; taste and adjust seasonings as desired. Borscht sauce may be served hot or cold; keep heated in saucepan until serving time; or chill sauce in refrigerator.
- While borscht sauce is cooking, rub salmon fillets on both sides with olive oil; sprinkle salmon with garlic salt and pepper; grill fillets 4-5 minutes per side until done. To serve, plate each salmon fillet, then top with 1/4 cup (hot or cold) borscht sauce, additional crème fraiche, and sprigs of fresh dill. A beautiful presentation your dinner guests will not soon forget!
- This recipe makes just over 2 cups borscht sauce. Canned broth may be used to thin any unused sauce to preferred soup consistency. Stir in broth and reheat, or enjoy a cold summer soup. Very delicious the next day!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This got mixed reviews in my house. The quantity was reduced significantly and as a result I did have a lot of sauce leftover and it required more broth than indicated to puree it properly. The salmon fillets were grilled on the George Forman without the added olive oil. This is a very attractive dish. It was served with steamed brown rice and green beans.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
A happily married wife and mom of two young adults, who enjoys a variety of creative pursuits including a love of cooking and baking. I also enjoy gardening, nature, travel, and skiing. <img src="http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/55221/homemadepastaforzaarpage.jpg"> Recipezaar is my favorite cooking website. I can't believe eight years have passed since I first found this wonderful cooking community! Life circumstances have recently kept me away, but I hope to be back soon. I really appreciate those who have kindly reviewed or photographed my recipes ~ <img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/debsposies/Zaar/thankyou.jpg"> <img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/debsposies/Zaar/aboutmepagefont.jpg"> <img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/debsposies/pac2.jpg" hspace="3" vspace="5"><img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/debsposies/pac6.jpg" hspace="3" vspace="5"> <img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/debsposies/pac5.jpg" hspace="4" vspace="5"><img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/debsposies/pac1.jpg" hspace="3" vspace="5"> <img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/debsposies/pac3.jpg" hspace="4" vspace="5"><img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/debsposies/pac4.jpg" hspace="4" vspace="5"> <img src="http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/PACsticker-Adopted.jpg" hspace="0" vspace="4"><img src="http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/Animation6.gif" hspace="0" vspace="4"> <img src="http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/World%20Tour/ZWT2.gif" hspace="1" vspace="5"> <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/ParticipationBanner.jpg" hspace="1"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/craze-e2banner.jpg" hspace="2"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/Dollar%20Contest/DiningonaDollarParticipant.jpg" vspace="3" hspace="4"> <img src="http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/RSC%20Banners/RSC9-Debs.jpg"> <img src="http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/RSC%20Banners/RSC10-Debs.jpg"> <img src="http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/RSC%20Banners/RSC11-Debs.jpg"><img src="http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/RSC%20Banners/RSC12-DebsRecipes.jpg" vspace="7"> <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/RSC%20Lucky%2013/ParticipationSticker.jpg" hspace="8" vspace="3"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/sticker.jpg" hspace="8" vspace="4">