Bea's Favorite Mac and Cheese
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
I like using fusilli for this recipe as it holds so much of the sauce in the noodle, but, you can use other pasta types if you like. I have also used green onions in lieu of regular onions with great results.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 1⁄2 lb fusilli
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon mustard powder
- 3 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 large egg
- 12 ounces old cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cook pasta al dente.
- While the pasta cooks, in a separate pot melt 3 tbsp butter.
- Whisk in flour and mustard, keep it moving for 5 minutes, ensuring there are no lumps.
- Stir in milk, onion, bay leaf and paprika. Simmer for 10 minutes and remove bay leaf.
- Temper in the egg (adding some hot liquid to it before mixing it in).
- Stir in ¾ of the cheese. Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Fold in pasta and pour into a buttered 2 quart casserole dish. Top with remaining cheese.
- Melt remaining butter in a sauté pan and toss in bread crumbs.
- Top macaroni with bread crumbs and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let rest 5 minutes before serving.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I feel a bit mean only giving this five stars...in my humble opinion I think that it deserves more!! The consistency and texture of this was just lovely,and the egg added a smooth richness to it all. I ended up using smokey paprika ( a store cupboard error-I picked up the wrong tub!!), but it didn't seem to matter at all, the flavour was spot on, and you could taste everything with nothing over- powering anything else. I LOVED this Pink...thank you so much for sharing!! Made for PRMR.Reply