Beans and Beer
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 5mins
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried pinto beans, soaked overnight
- 1 large onion, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup beer
- 2 cups roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded, devined, and diced (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro leaf, chopped and loosely packed (or to taste)
- Drain and rinse the beans.
- Place beans in a pot and cover with water by at least 3 inches.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce the heat to low and cook, covered, until the beans are tender, about 1 hour.
- Combine onion and garlic in a large,heavy pot and cook, covered over low heat until soft and translucent. You may add a little water to prevent sticking.
- Add beans,beer,tomatoes,jalapeno,sugar,salt,and pepper.
- Simmer, covered 30 more minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to come to room temperature.
- Add cilantro and mix well.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!