BBQ Sloppy Chicken Pan Pizza
- Ready In:
- 2 (8 1/2 ounce) boxes corn muffin mix (Jiffy)
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 cup frozen corn
- extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb ground chicken breast
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- coarse salt
- coarse black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 10 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 2 -3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley or 2 -3 tablespoons cilantro
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- In a big bowl, combine the corn muffin mix, eggs, melted butter, and milk; stir in the corn.
- Drizzle some olive oil into a large nonstick skillet with an oven-safe handle and wipe it around the pan with a folded paper towel (wrap the handle in a double layer of foil if it has a plastic or rubber handle).
- Pour in the batter; place the pan in the center of the preheated oven, and bake until the cornbread becomes light golden in color, 12-15 minutes.
- Place a second skillet over med-high heat and add 2 tablespoons oil.
- Add the chicken and break it up with a wooden spoon; once the chicken has crumbled and begins to brown, add in the garlic, onions, and bell peppers; season with salt and pepper, chili powder, cumin, and hot sauce.
- Cook for 5 minutes, then add the Worcestershire sauce, tomato sauce, and brown sugar.
- Stir to combine; decrease heat to low.
- Simmer until the cornbread sets up and is ready to come out of the oven; adjust seasonings to taste.
- Remove the cornbread from the oven and cover it with the sloppy chicken mixture, then sprinkle with the cheese.
- Put the pan back in the oven and cook for 5 minutes to set the toppings and melt the cheese. Top with scallions and chopped parsley or cilantro and serve from the skillet, cutting the pizza into 8 wedges.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!