BBQ Melt-In-Your-Mouth Plantains
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
ZWT7, South & Central America. 5 stars on http://www.bbcgoodfood.com.
- Ready In:
- 2 ripe plantains, the skins must be black
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons demerara sugar (brown sugar crystals)
- 8 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- salt & pepper (optional)
- cinnamon (to garnish)
- Peel the plantains and cut them crossways into slices 2.5cm thick.
- Lay each plantain on a large sheet of foil, keeping the slices together so they stay in their original shape.
- Smear each plaintain with the butter (or dot it over if it's hard) and sprinkle with the sugar.
- Make a gondola shape round each plantain with the foil, then pour over the orange juice and grind salt and pepper on top if using.
- Wrap the foil completely round the plantains so they're securely sealed inside. (You can prepare to this stage up to 24 hours ahead.).
- Put the foil parcels on the barbecue rack and cook for 30 minutes until the plantains are softened (to check if they're ready, open a parcel and test with the point of a knife).
- Sprikle with salt, pepper and cinnamon.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
It was very easy to make this great-tasting dish & I must admit that I was probably overly generous with the cinnamon, but then we do like that particular spice! One thing I did add, was a bit of orange zest added to the OJ! Thanks for a great treat! [Made & reviewed for one of my groupmates in the Aus/NZ Recipe Swap #42]Reply