BBQ Chicken Livers... Ala the Deen Brothers
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 1 - 1 1⁄2 lb chicken liver
For Deen Brothers BBQ Sauce
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup packed dark brown sugar (or artificial sweetner, like Splenda, plus 1/2 T molasses)
- 2 tablespoons orange juice (or other fruit juice of choice, lemon or lime or apple)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard powder (for more heat, increase the amount of mustard powder slightly to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (for more heat, increase the amount of cayenne pepper to taste, in proportion to mustard powder)
- salt and pepper, to taste (or seasoned salt... trick I learned from Kittencal's recipes!)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray an 8x8 baking pan with non-stick spray.
- Rinse, drain, and dry the chicken livers on paper towels. (Season to taste if desired, I use a little seasoning salt & no pepper.).
- In a large bowl stir together all the bbq sauce ingredients.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of the barbecue sauce and set aside for later; use 1/4 cup later for basting & 1/4 cup as a side sauce when livers are served (if desired).
- Place the chicken livers into the bbq sauce remaining in the bowl, tossing to coat.
- Arrange the coated chicken livers in the sprayed 8x8 baking pan & cover with foil.
- Cook (covered), for 40 to 45 minutes or until cooked through, basting with the reserved 1/4 cup sauce after 20 minutes. **For oven roasting, cook uncovered for the last 15 minutes.
- **Instead of oven roasting, these livers can be barbequed on a grill using a foil-covered foil pan that is sprayed with non-stick spray. Place in a medium heat area on the grill. Cooking time may vary from oven method.
- Note: This recipe can be made "savory" with the addition of herbs of your choice -- or herb blends -- it never hurts to experiment.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!