Bastani (Persian Rose Water, Saffron and Pistachio Ice Cream)
This was the first time I ever made custard-based ice cream, and it was delicious! The rose water and saffron go great together, without overpowering each other. I doubled the original recipe, since most ice cream machines need at least 4 cups of liquid (also because my family gobbled it up in no time!).
- Ready In:
- 4hrs 30mins
- 2 cups whole milk or 2 cups 2% low-fat milk
- 2 1⁄2 cups heavy cream or 2 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 6 -8 egg yolks
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups pistachio nuts, chopped (If using salted ones, make sure to soak and drain first)
- 3 -4 tablespoons rose water or 3/4 teaspoon rose extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon saffron, ground and dissolved in a tablespoon of hot milk
- 1 pinch salt
- In a medium thick-bottomed bot, slowly heat the milk to boiling while stirring. Add the vanilla extract and saffron. Continue to cook on low heat, stirring occasionally while doing the next step.
- Beat the egg yolks with the sugar until smooth and foamy. Very carefully and slowly, pour the egg/sugar mixture into the milk. Make sure to stir it rapidly with a fork or use a whisk while pouring (or you will end up with scrambled eggs in the ice cream!).
- Continue heating the mixture on low heat while stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until thickened (it should be foamy and coat the spoon).
- Pour the custard mixture into a bowl, and refrigerate until well chilled.
- Once cold, stir in the cream, rose water or extract, and chopped pistachios.
- Churn in an ice cream maker until finished (or, stick in the freezer and vigorously stir every 30 minutes or so to break up the ice crystals, until it is homogenous and frozen).