Basler Lackerli (Swiss Spiced Honey Cookies)
photo by Ms. Poppy
- Ready In:
- 1hr 13mins
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup honey
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons kirsch
- 1⁄2 cup candied orange peel, finely chopped (about 3 oz)
- 1 1⁄2 cups almonds, whole natural (about 8 oz)
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- Preheat over to 325 degrees. Line bottom and sides of a buttered jelly-roll pan, 10 1/2 x 15 1/2 x 1-inch, with foil and butter foil.
- Chop almonds very fine but not ground, preferably in a food processor. In a bowl whisk together flour, spices, baking powder, and baking soda. In a large heavy saucepan heat honey and granulated sugar over moderately low heat, stirring, just until sugar is dissolved. Remove pan from heat and stir in kirsch, orange peel, and almonds. Stir in flour mixture and cool dough 5 minutes.
- With floured hands, press dough evenly into pan. Put dough in oven and immediately reduce temperature to 300 degrees F. Bake dough 25 - 30 mins, or until firm but not dry and hard, and cool in pan on a rack. Invert baked dough onto a cutting board. Discard foil and invert baked dough.
- Ina small saucepan heat water with grandulated sugar over moderately low heat, stirring, just until sugar is dissolved. Sift in confectioners' sugar and stir until comined well.
- Pour hot glaze on baked dough and brush evenly over dough, brushing continuously until glaze crystallizes and whitens. Let glazed dough stand 10 minutes Trim off and discard edges of dough and cut into 2 x 1 1/2-inch rectangles. Keep cookies in an airtight container up to 2 weeks.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!