Basler Kaeswaie (Swiss Cheese Tart)
- Ready In:
1 10 inch tart
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour (spoon flour into dry-measure cup and level off)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold and cut into 8 or 4 tablespoons cold water
- 2 cups about 4 ounces coarsely grated swiss gruyere
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups half-and-half or milk and heavy cream
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 pinch each of salt and freshly grated nutmeg
- Set a rack in the lowest level of the oven and preheat to 375 degrees.
- For the dough, combine the dry ingredients in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade and pulse several times to mix. Add the butter and pulse until the butter is in 1/4-inch pieces. Add the water and pulse until the dough forms a ball. Invert the dough to a floured work surface, carefully remove the blade, and form it into a thick disk.
- Flour the dough and roll it to a 12-inch disk. Fold the dough in half and transfer it to a 10-inch tart pan with removable bottom, lining up the fold with the diameter of the pan. Unfold the dough into the pan and press it well into the bottom and side of the pan. Use a bench scraper or the back of a knife to sever the excess dough at the rim of the pan.
- Toss the cheese with the flour and evenly distribute it on the pastry crust. Whisk the remaining ingredients together and pour over the cheese.
- Bake the tart until the crust is baked through and the filling is set and well colored, about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Cool the tart briefly on a rack and unmold it to a platter; serve immediately or later at room temperature.
- Serving: Unmold the tart and slide it off the pan base onto a platter. Serve warm or at room temperature as a first course or as the main course of a light meal with a mixed salad.
- Storage: Keep the tart at room temperature on the day it is baked. Wrap and refrigerate leftovers and bring to room temperature or heat briefly at 350 degrees before serving again.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!