Basil Rice Soup – Minestra Di Riso E Basilico
Antonio Cecconi - Betty Crocker’s Italian Cooking ----- This soup is pretty amazing... No matter what I serve it with, whether the rest of dinner is a disaster or amazing (and I've done both with this soup), this soup gets lasting compliments.
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped carrot
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 3⁄4 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in 4-quart Dutch oven over medium-low heat. Stir in garlic, celery, onion, carrot and basil. Cover and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in rice and tomatoes. Cook uncovered over medium heat 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in remaining ingredients except cheese.
- Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 20 minutes or until rice is tender. Serve with cheese.