Basil Pesto Twice-Baked Potatoes
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 1 lb potato, suitable for baking (about 4 potatoes)
- 1 tablespoon mascarpone cheese
- 4 tablespoons basil pesto
- salt and pepper, to taste (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- Preheat the oven to 350°F or 180°C.
- Bake the potatoes in the oven for about an hour, until the skins are firm and the centres are soft.
- When the potatoes are cooked, remove from the oven. Halve them lengthways and scoop out the majority of the flesh with a spoon. Be very careful not to tear the skin- leave a quarter inch of flesh still in the skin to provide a firm shell.
- Lightly mash with a fork the flesh that has been removed from the skins. Mix in the mascarpone cheese and basil pesto sauce and season with salt and pepper if desired. Stir well to mix.
- Add the grated mozzarella and pine nuts and stir to mix.
- Scoop the filling back into the potatoes, smoothing the tops.
- Place on a foil-covered baking tray and bake for 10 minutes, until the filling is hot.
- Serve hot!
Join The Conversation
I used this as a side dish, but I agree with the previous poster that it is hearty enough for a light meal. Delicious mix of flavors! I've never mixed pesto with potatoes, and now I will be experimenting! I made exactly as posted since this is the first time I have made it and I wanted to give it a fair rating. However, bluemoon's suggestion to add mushrooms and onions sounds like it would make this recipe a complete meal! Thanks for posting a delicious recipe! Made for Holiday tag.
A delightful stand alone dish for a light meal, or a dish which would effectively complement most meat dishes. Easy to follow, minimal effort instructions and a wonderful blend of flavours. :) My only additions were some chopped, panfried mushrooms and onions. Thank you for sharing this delectable dish, Shuzbud. I'll certainly be making it again! The ease with which it reheats makes it ideal for taking to friends' places for lunch!
Potatoes and pesto go so well together that I came up with a new way to mix them. Twice baked potatoes are so convenient as they don't require any last-minute fuss! They are also easy to reheat from the fridge if you make a large batch. If you can't find mascarpone cheese, I'm sure cream cheese would work just fine although it wouldn't give quite the same flavour.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a primary school teacher living in Bristol, England. At the moment I teach Kindergarten, known here as Reception. I really love my job but it doesn't leave much time for hobbies! I enjoy cooking for friends and aim to try new recipes as often as possible! My signature dish has to be White Chocolate Blondies, as it is my most requested sweet treat, and I definitely have a sweet tooth! Update- 5-5-09: Somebody was very thoughtful and gave me the gift of a premium membership. I can honestly say it made me feel so good! If you're out there, THANK YOU so much! I can't quite believe the generosity... <img src="http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a254/Sharon123/Copyoftag300-banner.jpg" border="0" alt="Susie's Banner for Newest Zaar Tag"> <img src="http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj81/HokiesLady65/Recipezaar%20Album/iplaytagin.jpg"> <img src="http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r317/j_welcome/pics2/food/PRMRcopy.jpg"> <img src="http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a132/tgifford/Game%20Room%20Banners/AM%20Banners/holidaybadge.gif" border="0" alt="Photobucket"X> <img src="http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj81/HokiesLady65/Banners/holidayprmr2.jpg"> <img src="http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/Animation6.gif"> <img src="http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/PACsticker-Adopted.jpg"> <img src="http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/7505/mybanner4a394ee84d5f0.jpg" > <img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/annacia/Permanent%20Banners/cc-banner-7-09.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a> <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Participation.jpg"> <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Iwasadopted.jpg">