This is a excellent jelly. Very easy to make. Note, the original recipe called for green food coloring but I like the almost clear coloring. Note: This recipe won First Place in the Miscellanous Jelly Class and a Special Award at this year's Maryland State Fair. It is good!
- Ready In:
- 1 cup fresh basil leaf, lightly packed
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 cups water
- 6 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 (3 ounce) envelopes certo liquid pectin
- Place the basil leaves, lemon juice and vinegar in an 8-10 quart sauce pot.
- Let the basil, lemon juice and vinegar stand while you are measuring the water and sugar.
- Add the water and heat almost to a boil, stirring to blend, then add sugar all at once.
- Stir to dissolve sugar.
- Bring to a hard boil.
- Add both pouches of Certo, stir to mix and return to a hard boil.
- Boil for 1 minute or until jelly point is reached.
- Remove from heat.
- Remove basil leaves with a slotted spoon.
- Pour immediately into hot sterilized 1/2 pint jars.
- Seal and process for 10 minutes in boiling water bath.