Basic Turkey and Rice Soup
photo by JESSICA m.
- Ready In:
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic clove, minced
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth (Wolfgang Puck's preferred) or 3 cups low sodium vegetable broth (Wolfgang Puck's preferred)
- 1 large fresh carrot, diced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup long grain white rice, uncooked (NOT instant)
- 1 (10 ounce) package green peas, thawed (from the freezer section)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground sage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- salt and pepper (optional)
- 1 lb turkey breast, cooked and diced (Jennie-O preferred)
- In a dutch oven, on medium heat, saute the garlic and onion in oil until tender.
- Add broth, rice, celery and carrot; Cover and simmer 15 minute.
- Add peas, nutmeg, sage and salt & pepper to taste; simmer on low 10 minutes.
- Add the turkey and heat through.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I am not a very good cook but I made this recipe with little fuss or muss. It was absolutely delish. The next time I make it I will pre-cook the rice and add it as I serve because after a couple hours in the fridge the rice started exploding and the soup was a little gelatenous. The flavour was wonderful.
see 3 more reviews