Basic Sweet Bread Dough
photo by Cupcake-Princess
- Ready In:
- 3⁄4 cup warm water (110 degrees max)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened, cut into small pieces
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract or 2 teaspoons grated citrus zest
- 4 1⁄2 - 5 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- For the sponge: In a small bowl stir together water and sugar until sugar is dissolved. Stir in yeast and flour. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside until bubbly and active, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- For the dough: In a large bowl, mix together all of the sponge, yogurt, butter, eggs, sugar, salt, and vanilla or citrus zest. Add flour 1 cup at a time, mixing until the dough comes away cleanly from the sides of the bowl.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for about 5 minutes, until soft and pliable but not sticky. Let dough rest while you clean and grease the bowl. Finish kneading the dough until it's smooth, supple, and springy.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl, turn to coat all surfaces, cover with plastic wrap and let sit in a warm place for about 1 1/2 hours, or until doubled.
- Gently deflate the dough and shape into desired shapes. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise until doubled in bulk, about 35 to 45 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I don't really like to cook that much, but I love to bake. My favorite thing to do is bake yummy homemade cupcakes, brownies, cookies, and more. I enjoy eating bake goods as much as making them! I have a sweet Miniature Schnazer named Oliver that we adopted from the animal shelter. I like to collect old cookbooks, the oldest one I have is from 1913. My favorite magazines are Bon Appitite and Martha Stewart's Every Day Food. I just became a Certified Nursing Assistant. Around my house i'm known as the pissed off baker because when I bake you better stay out of the kitchen!!!