Basic Red Sauce (Salsa De Chile Rojo)
- Ready In:
- 1hr 45mins
2 1/2 cups
- 8 ancho chilies, dried
- 3 1⁄2 cups warm water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon dried Mexican oregano (regular will do)
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Soak chiles in warm water until softened, about 30 minutes. Drain; strain and reserve liquid. Remove stems and seeds and membranes from the chiles. Cook and stir onion and garlic in oil in a 2-qt. saucepan until onion is tender. Add chiles and 2 cups of the reserved liquid , the tomato sauce, oregano, cumin and salt. Simmer uncovered 20 minutes. Cool.
- Transfer to blender container; cover and blend on low speed until smooth. Strain. Refrigerate sauce no longer than 10 days.
- Note: I strain mine in a mesh strainer or colander. It takes a few minutes, but keep thinking of how great this is going to taste!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I would like to welcome you to my recipes. I have been with Food.com since 10/05. My beloved husband, Tom, passed away 3 years ago. My world stopped. It's taken me all this time to find my way back to life without him. I have been so blessed to have found my second, once in a lifetime. I've met an amazing man who is so good to me. We moved from Las Vegas, Nevada to Bullhead City, Az. in February, and we love it here. I have worked at Bally's and Paris hotel.casinos, in Las Vegas. I have seen some very famous entertainers, including Liza Minnelli, Penn and Teller, Ray Liotta, Dr. J (Julius Erving), Frank Sinatra and his wife Barbara Marx. and many, many more. Cooking is my passion, and I am slowly, but surely beginning to venture into the world of baking. To me, cooking is so much easier because baking is so much more exact. I love to make Italian and Mexican food the best, followed by Chinese and last, but by far the least, good old American food! How can you beat chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes and gravy?? I love to find several recipes and put my own spin on them and create a new recipe.