Basic Baked Mac and Cheese
Straightforward mac n cheese made w/ a white sauce and using plain yogurt in the recipe and reserved cheese topping. I left out salt on this and let ea. person add their own salt and extra pepper at the table. Also, I freshly grate my nutmeg and use NY State Cheddar. This is a starting point for mac and cheese. Some embellish it with tomato, other cheeses, onion, green or sweet red peppers, buttered bread crumbs or cracker topping etc. I adapted it from "Now....Your'e Cooking" website.
- Ready In:
- 2 cups macaroni, uncooked
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground pepper, to taste
- 3 dashes nutmeg
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Cook macaroni in salted water until done. Drain. Put into a med. bowl.
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour. Whisk over medium heat 2 minutes. Whisk in milk. Cook over med. heat until thickened.Remove from heat.
- Whisk in spices. Stir in yogurt and 1 1/2 cups of shredded cheese. Pour over macaroni and mix together with a spoon. Pour into a small buttered casserole dish. Top with remaining 1/2 cup shredded cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- 4 dinner servings or 6 side dish servings.