From Sudan(East Africa) for the Zaar World Tour II.
- Ready In:
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup icing sugar (powdered sugar)
- 3⁄4 cup butter or 3/4 cup oil
- 500 g yogurt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 cup coconut
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup water
- Beat eggs and sugar. Add oil and yogurt and mix.
- In a separate bowl sift flour and add baking powder and coconut, then add to the mixture while stirring.
- Spread mixture onto greased 9x13" dish. Bake for 30 minutes 200° Celsius/400°F.
- In another saucepan, mix sugar and lemon with water, boil until syrup thickens.
- When cake is cooked, pour syrup over evenly so it soaks through.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
GREAT TASTE, EASY PREP, how much more could a person want! I, too, used a vanilla yogurt (fat-free, in my case, 'cause that's what I have around most of the time)! Particularly appreciated the hot topping that soaked in! Definitely a keeper! [Made & reviewed while on tour in Africa on the Zaar World Tour 4]
Wow! Half of 9X13 pan was gone before supper! The wonderful smell of the cooking cake drew them in the kitchen. Moist,so good, I think it was the use of the yogurt. I have never used yogurt before in a cake, I certainly will again. It smelled like a pancake cooking in the oven. My edges of the cake were a little crispy at 400* but the cake was done in the middle and the crispy edges were ok. I used vanilla yogurt,butter and also used the vanilla extract.The instructions did not say when to put the vanilla in but I put with the liquids. I also let the sugar, lemon juice and water come to a rolling boil, poked holes in the cake with a fork and poured while the cake was still hot. This is a quick, economical, rich tasting moist cake that I would serve anytime especially for guests with a scoop of lemon sherbet.