Barszcz Z Uszkami (Beet Soup With Mushroom Pockets)
- Ready In:
For the soup
- 1 kg beetroot, peeled and sliced
- 200 g carrots, peeled and sliced
- 100 g parsley roots, sliced
- 200 g celery, sliced
- 120 g apples, quartered and core removed
- 1 1⁄2 liters water
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 3 teaspoons whole allspice (should be pimento leaves but zaar doesnt know it)
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dried marjoram
For the uszka filling
- 1 -2 tablespoon butter
- 20 g onions, finely chopped
- 40 g dried mushrooms, soaked in a little hot water
For the uszka dough
- 100 g flour
- 4 tablespoons hot water
- 1 egg
- For the soup: put the beetroot, carrots, parsley roots, celery and apples in a large pan and pour over 1.5 litres water, or enough to cover. Add the garlic cloves, pimento leaves and bay leaf and bring to the boil.
- Simmer the soup for 20 minutes, then remove from the heat. Season with the vinegar, marjoram, salt, pepper and sugar to taste. Cool and leave overnight.
- The next day, strain the soup through muslin to get a clear broth. Reheat before serving.
- For the uszka filling: melt a knob of butter in a frying pan and fry the onion until softened. Strain the mushrooms, reserving the soaking liquid. Chop them finely and add to the frying pan along with the soaking liquid. Cook, stirring, until the liquid has evaporated. Season.
- For the uszka dough: stir the hot water into the flour then mix in the egg. Season with salt and pepper. Knead the dough until smooth, then roll out very thin.
- Cut the dough into 5cm squares. Place a small amount of the filling onto the squares of dough and fold over on the diagonal to form triangles. Seal the edges together. Wrap the triangles around your finger, sticking the 2 bottom tips together to form a ring.
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil. Add the mushroom parcels. When they float to the top, cook for 1 more minute, stirring continuously. Drain.
- Put uszka in a soup plate and then pour hot over the hot soup. Smacznego!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/527607/cookswithcattitude.jpg I am a middle aged foodie who has had the luxury of living all over the world except asia. Lived in or grew up in Nigeria, Kenya, Chicago, Russia,and haiti. born in New Zealand, brother born in Austria and many more. I have chronic medication resistant depression after 10 years on anti depressants that worked well but would stop working after a year or two, so now do my best at home living on disabilty. Not a bad thing, many have far worse health issues but i have been able to concentrate on food/cooking. My main passions are my cats. I live in the woods and somehow many starving strays or "dumps" have found the message babies who passed on left in the woods saying "suck lives at xxxx road. Most arrive sick and/or starving. Right now i have 2 that arrived with feline herpes and their attendant 2ndry bacterial infections but are doing beautifully. One old man who was going to be euthanized bc a lady who found him as a stray was moving and didnt want him...well he was a biter and rather grumpy who was in ICU for 3 days with a deadly gut infection which was fixed but he left with a diagnosis of diabetes. 3 months on insulin and finally diet controlled and he caught the herpes virus, respiratory symptom version and turned into a cuddler. Butterscotch must think "why didnt i figure out this cuddle stuff was great before i got sick!" Doing wonderfully even though he has bouts. he and the other kids are my babies. Sadly Butterscotch died of Lymphatic cancer in winter of 2008. A year before Big Boy arrived in my life, starving and weak. Full of affection he jumped into my arms and stayed, turns out he has FIV (cat hiv) so he needs to be watched closely. I love him dearly <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/Adopted1smp.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/smPACp.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"> <img src="http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/Stockingswapcopy.jpg"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/participantbannerzwt5.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/cookbookswap.jpg"> <img src="http://www.caymandesigns.com/foodothers/fallswap.jpg">