MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
This sounds perfect for fall.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 50mins
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1 head green cabbage
- 1 large onion, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom, diced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper, to taste
- paprika, to taste
- 1⁄3 cup parsley, fresh, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup sour cream, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons dill, fresh, chopped
- Cook barley according to package directions.
- Pull off and discard any wilted or coarse outer cabbage leaves.
- Cut out core to a depth of about 3 inches.
- Parboil cabbage in a large kettle of salted boiling water for about 15 mins, or until leaves are soft enough to be pliable.
- Carefully cut out the tough part of the rib from each leaf.
- Saute onion in shortening until soft. Add mushrooms and lemon juice; saute 3 minutes
- Season with paprika, salt and pepper. Add cooked barley and parsley and mix well.
- Spoon 1 or more large spoonfuls of stuffing onto each leaf, the exact amount depending on the leaf's size.
- Roll up and fold in edges to securely enclose stuffing. Secure with toothpicks or tie with string.
- Place in a kettle. Cover with bouillon and cook slowly, covered, about 1 1/2 hours, or until leaves are tender.
- Remove stuffed leaves and keep warm. Stir flour into drippings and cook, stirring, until smooth.
- Add sour cream and dill and heat through. Pour sauce over stuffed leaves.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION