Barley & Potato Soup
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 6 cups chicken broth or 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 cup medium barley
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 small celery rib, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, 1/2 inch dice
- grated parmesan cheese
- Bring the broth to a boil and add the barley.
- Stir, then let simmer for 30 minutes, covered.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil and butter in a saute pan over medium heat.
- Add the onion, celery, garlic, parsley, red pepper flakes, and the remaining herbs and saute until the vegetables are softened but not browned (about 5-6 minutes.) When the barley has cooked for 30 minutes, add this mixture to it along with the carrots and potatoes.
- Cook everything together at a simmer for another 30 minutes.
- Serve with a generous sprinkle of parmesan on top.
Join The Conversation
This is a marvelous basic recipe that is fine the way it is. i have tried most of the suggested variations and all have their merits, mostly just for variety. My strongest comment? Fool your dh and dks who still think they dont really like "soup" by making it more stewlike, but little less broth and trick of adding pureed cannellini or almost any white bean to thicken. Also, it is SO GOOD as leftovers, always always make more than double, it says it serves 4, but not not at my house!!! thanks so much for sharing recipe, and helpful comments :)