Barley & Mushroom Stuffed Green Bell Peppers
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups pearl barley, cooked
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 4 medium bell peppers
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add mushrooms and onions and cook, stirring until the onions are browned.
- Stir in the barley, parsley, thyme and pepper (ground). Stir in the cheese; set aside.
- Rinse the bell peppers. Cut off the tops; remove and discard the seeds and pith.
- If necessary, make a thin slice on the bottom of each pepper to balance. Spoon 1/4 of the mixture into each pepper.
- Stand the peppers upright in a baking dish just large enough to accommodate them.
- Pour the sauce into the baking dish.
- Bake 30 minutes or until the peppers are tender.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
This is a great recipe. My husband commented how similar the texture of the barley is to ground meat, so you don't really feel like you are missing anything. I had big peppers, so I halved them and that worked just fine. Next time I might add more mushrooms, but otherwise they were perfect as posted.
Wow these were really good peppers! I cooked my peppers in the microwave with a little water for about 4 minutes before stuffing them, otherwise made just as directed and wouldn't change a thing. The marinara sauce was great with these and they were quite filling - didn't miss the meat at all. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
I love this recipe! I am a big fan of traditional stuffed peppers with the meat and rice, but I have to admit, I like these even better. I had to use quick-cooking barley because it's what I had on hand, so I didn't pre-cook it. I also used sharp white cheddar cheese and used a can of plain tomato sauce. This works really well in a slow-cooker, too. I added a cup of water to the bottom and cooked it on high for 3 hours or so. This is what I call a perfect recipe!
Loved these! Wonderful hearty vegetarian main dish with lots of flavor. With the baking time listed, peppers will still be crunchy. Also, pearl barley must be precooked, and takes about 50-60 minutes, so plan accordingly. I use Bob's Red Mill pearl barley, and used the rice cooker to prepare. 1 c barley plus 3 c water gave me more than enough. Thanks for sharing, I'll make these again!