Barbecue Sauce (Red)
This is a great all-purpose barbecue sauce. It's great on any type of meat, but for pork, I would double up on the peppers.
- Ready In:
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1⁄8 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄8 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄4 - 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed dried red pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil or 1/4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄8 cup black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄4 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1⁄8 cup molasses
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup salt water (1/6 cup salt to 1/2 cup water)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 cups ketchup
- Saute the onions, peppers, and crushed red pepper in the canola oil or butter over medium heat until lightly browned, 5 to 10 minutes. Add the garlic and simmer for 5 minutes more.
- Add the chili powder, black pepper, brown sugars, honey, and molasses and cook until carmelized. Add the vinegar, salt water, mustard, lemon juice, and Worcestershire sauce and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the ketchup and simmer for 10 minutes. Let cool before storing.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION