Barbados Yam Fish Cakes
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
Posted for the ZWT III (Caribbean Category). The addition of yams or sweet potatoes makes this fish cake unusual. This recipe comes from a cookbook titled, "Jim Walker's Cooking in Barbados".
- Ready In:
- 6 mahi mahi fillets
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lb yams or 1 lb sweet potato
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- shortening, for deep frying
- Poach the fish in water with the onion, salt and pepper for about 20 minutes.
- Peel the yams and chop roughly and cook 20 minutes in boiling water until tender.
- Drain yams and mash until smooth.
- Add milk to the mashed yams.
- Flake the fish and discard the skin.
- Add fish to the yams.
- Add beaten egg and parsley, mixing well.
- Divide mixture into 12 portions and form into fish cakes.
- Place flour in a shallow bowl and coat cakes in flour.
- Fry in hot oil, turning cakes to brown both sides.
- Cook until browned and crisp.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION