Barbadian Coconut Sweet Bread
From Taste of the Caribbean. Posted for Zaar World Tour III.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup raw sugar
- 2 cups self raising flour
- 2 cups plain flour
- 4 ounces desiccated coconut
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 tablespoon rum
- 2 eggs
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar, blended with
- 2 tablespoons water, to glaze
- preheat oven to 350.
- grease 2 1-lb loaf pans or 1 2-lb pan.
- place the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl and sift in all of the flour.
- rub ingredients together with your fingertips till the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- add the coconut, mixed spice, vanilla, rum, eggs and milk.
- mix together well with your hands.
- if the mixture is too dry, add more milk.
- knead on a floured board till firm and pliable.
- halve the mixture and place in loaf pans.
- glaze with sugared water and bake for about 1 hour, till skewer inserted into loaf comes out clean.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION