Banana Piña Colada Muffins
From King Arthur website.
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 - 3⁄4 teaspoon coconut extract (optional) or 1/2-3/4 teaspoon rum extract (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium to large bananas)
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 2 large eggs
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 3⁄4 - 1 cup diced dried pineapple
- 1⁄3 cup flaked coconut, for topping (sweetened or unsweetened)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F Line a 12-cup muffin pan with muffin cups, and grease the cups.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter, sugar, vanilla, and coconut or rum flavor. Add the bananas, honey, eggs, baking soda, baking powder, nutmeg, and salt, beating until smooth. Stir in the flour, then the dried fruit. Spoon the batter into the muffin cups. Sprinkle each muffin with coconut.
- Bake the muffins for 25 to 28 minutes, until a cake tester inserted into the center of one comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven, and as soon as possible tilt each muffin in its cup, to allow air to circulate and prevent the bottoms from steaming. Serve warm, or at room temperature.
- Note: If you find yourself a bit short of 1 1/2 cups mashed banana? Rather than cut a chunk off another banana, top off the measuring cup with applesauce, if desired.
- Note: Don’t use canned pineapple; it’s too juicy and will make the muffins soggy. If you like, substitute another dried fruit: chopped dates, raisins, or chopped apricots are all good choices.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION