Whether or not you live in New Orleans, Mardi Gras is a fine excuse to sample one the city's staples. These banana fritters - something of a cross between a doughnut and a pancake - are as good pan-fried like a traditional pancake as they are deep-fried as called for by the recipe.
- Ready In:
- 2 medium bananas, ripe but firm, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup milk (approx,)
- 3 cups vegetable oil
- powdered sugar, to sprinkle
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- In a medium bowl, combine bananas, flour sugar, egg, salt and baking powder.
- Add enough of the milk to form a thick pancake batter. You may not need all of the milk. In a deep fryer, heat oil to 360°F Once the oil is hot, drop batter in by large spoonfuls, a few at a time, and fry until the fritters are golden brown, 2-3 minutes.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer fritters to paper towels to drain, then sprnkle with powdered sugar and cinnamon.
- Serve immediately.