photo by Chef Gorete
- Ready In:
- 3 cups cake-and-pastry flour (sifted)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 cups mashed bananas (approx 4 ripe bananas)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk (or 1 tbsp white vinegar with 3/4 cup milk)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F Line standard muffin tins with large paper liners.
- Whisk together cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon, then set aside. In a separate bowl, mash the bananas well then stir in the lemon juice. To the banana mixture, whisk in the buttermilk and vanilla.
- With an electric mixer on medium high speed, cream the buttter and brown sugar until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating until each is incorporated. Add flour fixture in two batches, alternating with banana mixture, and beating until just combined after each. Stir in chocolate chips if using.
- Divide batter evenly among lined cups using an ice cream scoop, filling each 3/4 quarters full. Bake, rotating tins halfway through, until a cake tester inserted in centres comes out clean, between 18 to 20 minutes. Transfer tins to wire racks to cool completely before removing cupcakes.
- Serve plain or frost with the icing of your choice.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I was born in the Azores in Portugal, but have lived in Canada for the majority of my life. Baking is my passion, so I'm always looking for some easy and great tasting recipes....this site is perfect for it.