Banana Corn Fritters
- Ready In:
- 3⁄4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 - 1⁄2 teaspoon ground chipotle chile pepper (or cayenne pepper)
- 1 1⁄4 cups bananas, mashed (about 3 medium)
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons milk or 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400°F, and coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Whisk dry ingredients in a medium bowl;*Use only the 1/4 t chipotle if you don't want much heat; using cayenne will not give the same smoky flavor.
- In another medium bowl mix the banana, egg and milk; stir in the cornmeal mixture just until mixed (don't overdo).
- Heat 1 T oil in nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, then REDUCE heat to medium; Using about 2 T of batter, drop and space 5 fritters in the pan; Cook until golden brown, 30 seconds to 2 minutes per side.
- Transfer to the baking sheet and using the remaining oil make the rest of the fritters - Be sure to CHECK AND ADJUST your heat to prevent burning.
- Place the baking sheet with all the fritters into the oven and bake till they PUFF and get firm to touch, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- *To make these to serve later: complete the baking, refrigerate and reheat at 350°F for 15-20 minutes.
- *To use as an appetizer, top with creme fraiche. Yummy!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!