Banana Bread Pancakes
These are like a cross between banana bread and pancakes. They are on the heavy side and very filling. Recipe courtesy the Shooting Star Bed & Breakfast
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 3⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 eggs, separated
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 bananas, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- applesauce, warmed, for serving
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 bananas, sliced on a slight diagonal
- For the pancakes: in a large bowl, combine flour, salt, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, nutmeg and ginger.
- In a medium bowl, combine egg yolks, butter, milk, and vanilla; add to flour mixture and mix briefly (batter will be lumpy). Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; gently fold into batter. Gently fold in bananas and walnuts (reserve 1 tablespoon of walnuts for garnish).
- Cook pancakes until golden brown on both sides.
- Top with caramelized bananas and reserved walnuts. Serve with warm applesauce.
- For the Bananas: Melt butter in a non-stick saucepan over medium heat. Add brown and white sugar and nutmeg; cook until sugars dissolve. Add bananas; cook until mixture thickens and bananas start to brown. (Optional: add 2 tablespoons of Kahlua and cook for 3-5 minutes longer, until thickened.).
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
I love banana pancakes, but my hubby- who usually makes the pancakes complains that adding the banana makes them harder to cook through, and more easy to burn. I had NO trouble at all with these not cooking through, nor with them burning. THey turned out very yummy- moist and tender, but cooked and lots of flavor. Didn't make the topping- my kids think pancakes are a finger food. Next time I will add some frozen blueberries!
We made these for lunch today as there were some bananas in the fruit bowl looking a bit sad !! Pancakes were delicious and not nearly as heavy as I expected. I did not make the caramelized bananas due to time constraints but will next time - we ate the lot just with butter and they were fabulous so thankyou Cookiedog