Bamya Bil Lahme (Okra With Meat Stew)
photo by Gamila Muhammad
- Ready In:
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter or 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lbs lamb or 2 lbs beef stew meat
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander (or 4 whole pods)
- 1 cup chopped tomato (peeled and seeded)
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup stock (beef)
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs okra (baby, fresh or frozen)
- 1 lemon, juice of
- Heat 4 tablespoons butter or oil in a large stock pot over medium high heat. Working in small batches, brown meat, turning constantly, until browned on all sides, about 10 minutes.
- Add onions to meat and saute until translucent, 8-10 minutes.
- Add garlic, cumin, coriander, tomatoes, tomato paste, and stock. Stir well.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover tightly and cook for about 45 minutes- 1 hour or until meat is tender. Add more water if it becomes dry.
- Prepare okra by rinsing in cool water. Cut the stem end off each and poke holes in them to absorb the liquid.
- Once meat is tender add okra and 1-2 cups water.
- Pour lemon juice over mixture (this reduces the slimy texture of the okra).
- Cook an additional 30-45 minutes on low heat until it has a thick stew consistency and okra is soft.
- Serve warm with rice.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Mother of 3, married. Living in Egypt with my husband. Love to cook. Professional photographer and freelance journalist.