Bakes Beans - "brilliant" - Vegan
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 2 cups cooked navy beans (sub pinto or others if you like)
- 2 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon molasses
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tablespoons Braggs liquid aminos
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- grated cheese (vegan or otherwise) (optional) or parsley (to garnish) (optional)
- Preheat your oven. Place your cooked beans into an oven-proof baking dish.
- In a pyrex type measuring cup, measure out your vegetable broth. To that, add the rest of the 9 ingredients and mix well.
- Pour the sauce mixture over the beans in the baking dish and mix well to combine.
- Bake uncovered for an hour. Check after about 40 minutes to make sure they're not drying up too much or burning.
Join The Conversation
This really satisfied my craving for baked beans. I really liked the fact that they weren't too sweet. I also really loved the abundant tomato taste! I used a 24 oz. jar of great northern beans (drained and rinsed) and they seemed to work really well. I ended up baking mine for almost an hour and a half, to bake off a little more of the liquid. I think next time I'll use 2 cups veggie broth. The only other tweak I'll make, as a personal preference, is to reduce the amount of Braggs liquid aminos - maybe in half. Thank you for posting this lovely, healthy baked bean recipe!
Delicious and different than the usual sweetish baked beans, we enjoyed this for dinner tonight, and look forward to it for lunches this week! Made with canned organic northern beans DH brought home today - I've been wanting to make this one for a while! We'll probaby use 2 cups of broth next time, although I'm sitting on the fence about that because it's perfect for mopping up with some delicious hearty flax bread like the loaf I made today! Recipenapped for Veggie Swap #32.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I first discovered recipezaar?when googling for some recipe that I can't even remember now.??Before long I was?totally addicted and still?find it such a helpful resource for all sorts of things. People have really great ideas on this site, good senses of humour and, well, good recipes.