Baked Ziti and Summer Vegetables
- Ready In:
- 4 ounces uncooked ziti pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups chopped yellow squash
- 1 cup chopped zucchini
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 ounces shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 ounces part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt, and drain.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat, and add oil to pan.
- Add squash, zucchini, and onion and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add tomato and garlic and saute 3 minutes, remove from heat and stir in pasta, 1/2 cup mozzarella, all herbs, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and all the pepper.
- Combine ricotta, remaining salt, and egg, and stir into pasta mixture.
- Spoon into an 8-inch square glass, or ceramic baking dish, coated with cooking spray, and sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Bake 400 degrees or until bubbly, and browned.
Join The Conversation
Absolutely wonderful! I had to change a few minor things but nothing that changed the basic recipe. I didn't have fresh oregano so I used dried. I didn't have yellow squash so I used all zucchini. I have jumbo eggs so I used a little more ricotta because it was too runny without. This is a great recipe. I've shared it with friends and family and everyone agrees - this is a keeper!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>Hello everyone, My name is Doug and I am the host of I recommend tag.I am in my early 40's, I am married, with two children. Michael 14, and katherine 10 . I started to learn to cook, after I got married, when my wife started working nights, and I couldn't get around because I had my entire left leg rebuilt. I just completed remodeling my entire house, and am very active at volunteering at my childrens schools.<br />Rating System <br />5 stars- Outstanding (4 out 4 ) in family enjoyed. <br />4 stars - Very good (3 out of 4) in family enjoyed. Will make no adjustments. <br />3 stars - good, might consider an adjustment <br />2 stars- Okay- will make adjustment <br />1 star- debatable I will make again, would with right adjustment <br />0 stars - Will not attempt again.</p>