Baked Vegetable Gratin (Verdure Al Forno)
- Ready In:
- 6 medium zucchini (about 1 lb.)
- coarse salt
- 1 lb spinach, washed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 5 tablespoons olive oil (and a little more for the baking dish)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or 2 tablespoons fresh basil
- 1 cup cooked garbanzo beans
- freshly ground pepper
- Cut the zucchini into 1/2-inch dice; place in a colander; salt, and drain for 20 minutes.
- Cut off any long stems from the spinach.
- Cook spinach with water that clings to the leaves in a pot, along with a little salt just until the spinach wilts; drain and let cool.
- Squeeze out the excess water and coarsely chop.
- Gently saute the onion in 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet over low heat for 20 minutes or until the onion is soft and pale gold.
- Meanwhile, pat the zucchini dry with paper towels; add to the onions, and saute for 10 minutes.
- Add the spinach and garlic and saute for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Turn into a bowl and let cool.
- Combine the vegetables with 1/2 cup Parmesan, eggs, parsley, garbanzo beans, salt, and pepper.
- Lightly oil a shallow, round baking dish; fill dish with the spinach mixture.
- Sprinkle the top with 2 tablespoons Parmesan and drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Bake in a preheated 375° oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until a golden crust has formed.
- Let cool; serve at room temperature.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!