photo by KateL
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 lbs tilapia fillets
- 1⁄4 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup sweet red pepper, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh tarragon
- 1 teaspoon fresh basil
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Saute the celery, onions and bell pepper in butter until the vegetables soften.
- Add flour, salt, pepper, tarragon, basil, and milk, stirring until blended.
- Cook sauce until it thickens, stirring constantly.
- Lower the heat and add cheese, stirring until the cheese just melts. Do NOT boil the cheese or it will get stringy.
- Rinse the tilapia fillets in cold salted water, then drain and pat dry.
- Arrange the fish in a single layer in an oblong baking dish.
- Spoon the sauce over all.
- Bake at 425ºF for 8 to 10 minutes or until the fish flakes easily when tested with a fork.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Sure to be in my Top 20 for 2009! The sauce was very thick, but I let is completely cover the top of my filets; the fish stayed very moist. The little bit of celery, onion and sweet red bell pepper set this off perfectly. DH was planning which fish he would use this method next! Thanks for posting this recipe, Sue L! Made for Spring 2009 Pick A Chef.
I love almost all of the American Tilapia Association's recipes and this one was no diffrent. I used frozen then thawed fillets and scaled this down to serve about 3 people with great results. I used skim milk and part skim cheese with great results as well. This took about 15 minutes to cook for me, which may be because my fish may not have thawed all the way. Great recipe I plan on making with other fish fillets.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a longtime member since 2002. While I have many recipes here, most of my current recipes are on my food blog at palatablepastime.com I may occasionally post something extra I have here. If you have questions, you can always contact me at email@example.com