Baked Sweet Potatoes With Bitters
- Ready In:
- 1hr 25mins
- unsalted butter, softened for greasing baking dish
- 1 cup orange marmalade, preferrably one on the bitter side such as Hero
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon Angostura bitters
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and each cut lengthwise into 6 wedges (4 large)
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 450°F.
- Generously butter a 13 by 9 inch glass baking dish.
- Heat marmalade and orange juice in a 1-quart heavy saucepan over moderately low heat, stirring, until marmalade melts. Stir in Angostura bitters, salt and pepper and remove from heat.
- Pour marmalade mixture over potatoes in a large bowl and toss gently to coat, then spread in 1 layer in the baking dish. Bake, uncovered, turning potatoes over once or twice, 30 minutes, then continue baking without turning until the potatoes are tender and the tops are slightly caramelized, about 30 minutes more.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving to allow glaze to thicken.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a classically trained chef and a grad of NECI in Vermont. I ran my own catering company for years and then decided to switch gears and go to law school. I now practice law and cook just for fun. I enjoy cooking for friends and DH and I entertain regularly. I also cook for my three golden retrievers and have found several wonderful biscuit recipes here at Zaar. I collect cookbooks and food literature. My all time favourite food writer is MFK Fisher. If you have not read it, I commend her short story "Borderland " to you. It is one of the most evocative pieces of food writing ever. My current favourite cookbook is "Urban Italian - Simple Recipes and True Stories from a Life in Food" by Andrew Carmelini. For years I managed to hang on to all of my back issues of Gourmet some of which date back to the 1980's. Sadly, I recently lost that particular battle and to promote marital harmony, I am recycling my old mags but am posting my favorite Gourmet recipes along with some interesting ones worthy of a test drive.