Baked Sweet Potato Arancini (Italian Rice Balls) Vegan
photo by Allison V.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
24 Rice Balls
Sweet Potato Filling
- 1⁄2 cup raw cashews
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon Braggs liquid aminos or 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 large sweet potato (12-16 oz)
- 1⁄4 chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 cups arborio rice (dry)
- 1 cup white wine
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- Peel, chop and cook sweet potato in microwave until soft. About 6 minutes. Mash until creamy.
- Meanwhile, combine all other filling ingredients in a food processor until smooth.
- Stir together well.
- Using your hands, form into 24 1-inch sized balls and place on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Place in freezer to cool to make them easier to handle.
- Saute onion in large saucepan until tender. Add garlic.
- Add the dry rice and stir constantly for 2 minutes.
- Add the white wine stir until absorbed.
- Add the broth 1/2 cup at a time. Waiting until fully absorbed between each addition. The entire process takes about 15-20 minutes. Season as desired.
- Take a frozen filling ball and wrap the risotto around it by rolling in your hands. Then roll in breadcrumbs and place on parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Can be frozen at this point.
- Otherwise spritz with olive oil and bake at 400F for about 30 minutes.
- Serve with marinara sauce.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm a recipe junkie and collect way too many cookbooks. But when it's time to actually make something, I quickly turn to the internet... I started avoiding meat more than 20 years ago for environmental reasons. (It takes so many resources and the pollution risks of confinement operations are huge.) I've been vegan for years now and can report that the health benefits are also real. I really don't understand why people insist on eating meat