Baked Stuffed Winter Squash
- Ready In:
- 1hr 35mins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Place squash halves cut side down in baking pans. Fill pans with about 1/2 inch water. Bake squash 40 minutes in the preheated oven, or until tender.
- While squash bakes, heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Place onions and celery in the skillet, and cook until tender. Stir in the sausage and thyme. Cook and stir until evenly brown.
- Remove squash from the oven, and carefully scrape the pulp from the rinds. Set rinds aside. Place the pulp in a bowl, and mash with a potato masher. Mix in the cooked sausage mixture, egg, bread crumbs, raisins, and pecans. Scoop into the reserved rinds. Set stuffed squash in the baking dishes.
- Bake 25 minutes in the 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) oven, until heated through.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I did a little improv on the recipe. I used mushrooms in stead of celery (out of necessity), but added a bit of celery seed to the spice and sausage. I also used spicy sausage (again, out of necessity) and grated a bit of nutmeg into the squash and sausage mix before stuffing the squash. I also topped the squash with breadcrumbs and broiled them for a minute at the end to brown them up. It tasted really good- the raisins (I used golden and regular) really gave a sweet note that countered the sausage nicely!