Baked Rigatoni With Aurora Sauce
Aurora sauce is a combination of bechamel, cream and tomato puree. My boys love this simple, quick dish.
- Ready In:
- 1 lb rigatoni pasta
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 4 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 cup tomato sauce (perferably homemade)
- 1 1⁄2 cups parmesan cheese
- 8 teaspoons toasted breadcrumbs
- Make bechamel sauce using 6 tablespoons butter, flour and milk.
- (Melt butter, add flour and cook until bubbly, then add milk and whisk until thickened).
- Stir in tomato sauce.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Cook pasta until al dente.
- Drain, mix well with sauce and 1/2 of the Parmesan cheese.
- Turn into buttered oven dish.
- Mix remaining cheese with breadcrumbs.
- Top casserole with this mixture, then dot with remaining butter.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Delicious! I added some garlic and Italian seasoning (I was out of basil) and red pepper flakes to the cream sauce. Then mixed in some cooked baby shrimp and fresh spinach before baking to make it a main dish. Also used fresh Parmesan/Romano mixed cheese. This would also be good using chicken instead of shrimp. This was a very impressive dish!Reply
This was delish, tho I followed a couple of reviewer's advice, and added a good pinch of crushed red peppers to the sauce, and a fair sprinkling of mozzarella right underneath the breadcrumb/parm topping. I think next time I would add a little basil too! Wonderful, and will be served as a side dish again! Thanks for sharing, mary winecoff.Reply
We really enjoyed this as a side dish to chicken parmesan today. I have heard of this type of sauce, but never eaten or made it. We love tomato pasta sauce and alfredo sauce and the combination of the flavors together was very nice! I think, as another reviewer suggested, I would like to top it off with mozzarella cheese next time--that would be delicious! Thanks for posting, mary.Reply
see 5 more