Baked Potato Soup
Cold weather is on the way and it's almost time for potato harvest. After trying this soup recipe, you will always bake extra potatoes to use in this recipe.
- Ready In:
- 8 slices bacon, fried crisp (Retain drippings)
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2⁄3 cup flour
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups peeled baked potatoes, cubed
- 2 cups light cream (or 1/2 c. water and 2 cans of evaporated milk)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Tabasco sauce (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup diced green onion
- Chop cooked bacon& set aside.
- Cook onions in bacon drippings over medium high heat until transparent.
- Add flour, stirring to prevent lumps.
- Cook for 3 to 5 minutes until mixture begins to turn golden.
- Add broth gradually, whisking constantly until thickened.
- Reduce heat to simmer.
- Add potatoes, cream, bacon, parsley, garlic, basil, Tabasco sauce, and black pepper.
- Simmer ten minutes on low heat.
- Serve in bowls.
- Top with cheese and green onion.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This is very good. I was a bit elastic with the amounts and added too much cream, which made it too rich, so be careful and taste as you go. I left the skin on the potatoes and cut them into approx 1/3" dice, which worked well (I had been worried the skins would float off, but they didn't). Might add some sweetcorn next time.1Reply
I gave 4 stars for this soup as a base to add other stuff. The soup as is, I find a bit too bland and needs a little extra, definately salt. Great started but once made I also added about 1 cup frozen corn, I used about 1.5 cups of chopped cooked bacon ends, so I'm not sure how that translates into slices, and it wasn't very salty so maybe that was why I needed to add extra salt. I also added some ground thyme, about 1 tbsp worth, the same of basil and I used fresh 2 cloves of garlic (no powder). I am not able to use cream as DH is lactose intolerant, so it was missing a bit. I also added about 1 tbsp of tamari soy sauce, and worschester sauce.Reply
see 11 more