photo by Dreamer in Ontario
- Ready In:
- 2 cups uncooked old fashioned oats
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1⁄2 cup Egg Beaters egg substitute or 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce or 1 apple, peeled, cored, and coarsely chopped in the food processor
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Splenda sugar substitute
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon or 1 tablespoon apple pie spice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8" square baking pan, or 6 muffin cups, with non-stick spray.
- Combine wet ingredients and add dry ingredients. Spread in prepared baking pan, or spoon into prepared muffin cups.
- Bake square pan for 35-45 minutes, or muffin cups for 25-30 minutes. Keeps well in refrigerator or freezer. Good cold or warm.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
These are pretty good. I used applesauce and a chopped apple. They didn't come out of the muffin tins as easily as I had hoped. Next time I would either use the baking pan option or use paper muffin liners. I would also use more sweetener if I was planning to eat them as is. I tried one with maple syrup as a previous reviewer did and the sweetness was fine with that addition. Made for Keep That Resolution: Lite and Low Recipes Event.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm a 48 y/o gay Jewish man in the suburbs immediately north of New York City. I'm a general internist, practicing and teaching at a medical college north of NYC. I also earned a Masters in Public Health degree in 2013. After a Walt Disney World trip in Dec 2006 where I had to rent an electric scooter because I couldn't manage the walking, I decided to have gastric bypass surgery, which was done Feb 28, 2007. I lost 160 lbs (though I've gained back about 60 of that since). I can't eat as much as I used to, so I want every bite to be extra good!