Baked Mexican Rice - Vegetarian
A tomato based Mexican rice. Can be made the day before and re-heated (easy for entertaining). This resembles our favourite Mexican restaurant's rice dish that I love. If you double, add extra cooking time.
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 small onion, diced fine
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup white rice, don't use instant (short grain)
- 1 3⁄4 cups chicken or 1 3/4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Place the oil in a saucepan (medium) and cook the onion until translucent.
- Add the garlic, cumin and chilli and fry over a medium heat until fragrant (about 1 - 2 minute).
- Add the rice, stock and paste, stir to combine.
- When ALMOST to the boil, transfer to a 2 litre (8 cup) capacity oven proof dish with a lid.
- Cover and bake at 180oC for 35-40 minutes (or until cooked).
- Remove from the oven and let sit for 5 minutes before serving.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I used long grain rice, only 1/2 tsp of cumin cause it's not our favorite spice. I cooked it on the stove-top at low heat 20 minutes because my oven was taken at a higher degree. It was good, even my son liked it. It was not spicy for him. Thanks cookingpompom :) Made for ZWT8 for Diners, Winers and Chives1Reply
see 2 more