Baked French Toast Pioneer Woman / Ree Drummond
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- butter, For Greasing
- 1 loaf crusty bread (Sourdough Or French Bread)
- 8 whole eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- freshly grated nutmeg (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup cold butter, Cut Into Pieces
- warm syrup, For Serving (amount optional)
- butter, For Serving (amount optional)
- 1 cup fresh blueberries, For Serving (optional)
- For the French toast: Grease the baking pan with butter. Tear the bread into chunks, or cut into cubes, and evenly distribute in the pan. Crack the eggs in a big bowl. Whisk together the eggs, milk, cream, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla. Pour evenly over the bread. Cover the pan tightly and store in the fridge until needed (overnight preferably). Or you can make it and bake it right away---delicious no matter what!
- For the topping: Mix the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt and some nutmeg in a separate bowl. Stir together using a fork. Add the butter and with a pastry cutter, and mix it all together until the mixture resembles fine pebbles. Store in a plastic bag in the fridge.
- When you're ready to bake the casserole, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Remove the casserole from the fridge and sprinkle the topping over the top. Bake for 45 minutes for a softer, more bread pudding texture or for 1 hour-plus or more for a firmer, crisper texture.
- Scoop out individual portions. Top with butter and drizzle with warm pancake syrup and sprinkle with blueberries.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a busy mom both with stuff at home and my work. My kids and husband love to try new creations so they are right at home with my love of recipes. It is fun to make something and try several different ways at it. I love to try different enchilada recipes, recipes for various ice teas, and anything that gets food on the table on the weeknights. Restaurant recipes for the weekends are another favorite.