Baked Chili With Cornbread Biscuit Topping
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
From La Dolce Vegan by Sarah Kramer. This is an easy way to make chili for the week. The cornbread topping is good.
- Ready In:
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetarian ground beef, crumbled
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (19 ounce) can beans
- 1 (12 ounce) can corn, drained
- 1 (3 7/8 ounce) can pickled green chilies
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup soymilk or 1 cup almond milk
- 2 tablespoons soymilk or 2 tablespoons almond milk
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Preheat oven 400. Lightly oil a 9x13 pan.
- In a large saucepan saute the onions and peppers in oil until the onions are translucent. Add remaining chili ingredients and simmer 5-10 minutes.
- While chili is cooking mix 'milk' and vinegar. In a separate bowl mix the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Add the oil and milk mixture, stirring until just mixed.
- Transfer chili to baking pan and spoon the cornmeal batter on to the top.
- Bake uncovered for 15-20 minutes.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION