Baked Beef and Veggies With Rice
I took out beef mince for dinner tonight, but had no idea what I was going to do with it. Here's what I came up with.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 5 large mushrooms, sliced
- 1 (400 g) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste (puree)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon red chili pepper, finely minced
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup red wine (beef stock may also be used)
- 1⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 cups cooked rice
- In a large oven-proof fry pan (I use cast iron), brown the beef until no longer pink, about 8-10 minutes. If the beef is really lean, add a little oil to the pan so it doesn't stick.
- Stir in the grated garlic, salt and pepper.
- Remove beef with a slotted spoon to a bowl and set aside. Do not drain the pan.
- Add the onion and pepper to the pan and saute until onion becomes translucent, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and continue to cook another 5-7 minutes.
- In the meantime, mix together the chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, chili pepper, brown sugar and wine.
- Return the meat to the pan and mix thoroughly.
- Add the tomato mixture and stir to combine.
- Lower heat and let simmer for 5-10 minutes. If mixture seems dry, add some more wine.
- While mixture is simmering, preheat your oven to 190C/375°F.
- Put the pan in the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes.
- Sprinkle the cheese over top and return to oven for a further 5-10 minutes until cheese melts and starts to turn golden.
- Remove from oven and let sit 5 minutes.
- Serve over rice.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I made this as directed, using a fresh red (spicy) pepper. We thought it was bland, but this is a good starting point for adding more flavor. I will add another garlic clove next time, will add 1/8-1/4 tsp red pepper flakes and possibly add some cumin. I don't like my food too spicy, but this will kick it up a notch.Reply
see 5 more