Baked Beans (a Family Recipe from Chef Patrick O'connell)
This recipe was passed down to Chef Patrick O'Connell from his Grandmother. Baking in an earthenware pot brings out the best flavor of this recipe. These beans may be served hot or at room temperature. Cooking time includes overnight soaking time.
- Ready In:
- 24hrs 20mins
- 1 lb great northern bean
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 slices bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Place beans in a 2 quart saucepan & cover with cool water.
- Soak overnight.
- Drain the beans.
- Cover with fresh salted water, and cook over medium heat until beans are just barely tender.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Stir sugar and bacon into beans with water and place in an oven-proof earthenware crock or bean pot.
- Top with butter and bake, uncovered, in oven for 3 hours.
- If top layer of beans begins to become too dry or begins to burn, cover pot with aluminum foil.
- Serves 4.