Bajan Sweet Bread (Barbados)
photo by 8162pako70
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup shortening (or coconut oil)
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 2 cups flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 1⁄4 cups grated coconut
- 1⁄4 cup raisins, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup dried cherries, chopped
- 1 tablespoon grated nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon almond extract
- 1 1⁄3 cups evaporated milk
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon butter (for pan)
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350*F and lightly grease a bread pan. The original recipe calls for 2 bread pans, but the bread doesn't rise at all so it bakes nicely in one pan.
- In a mixer cream together the brown sugar, shortening and butter.
- Add flour, salt, grated coconut, raisins, cherries, nutmeg and mix well.
- Stir in almond extract, evaporated milk, and water, until a firm dough is formed. (You may need to add additional water.).
- Split the dough evenly between the two pans, and use a knife to cut a diagonal criss-cross pattern on the top of each loaf. Sprinkle 1 tbsp turbinado sugar over the top of each loaf.
- Bake for about 1 hour, until a skewer inserted into the center of the loaves comes out clean (Or a digital thermometer reads 190*F.) Cool completely in the pans before removing.