Bacon Topped Squash Casserole
The squash have arrived!! My friend and I made this for her family last night (she had never cooked squash before!). They loved it!
- Ready In:
- 1 squash, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped (Vidalia is the best)
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄4 cups breadcrumbs, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 6 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- Boil or Steam squash and onion until tender.
- Mash, then add salt and pepper.
- add butter, egg, 1 cup bread crumbs and cheese.
- Mix and place into a greased 1 quart casserole dish.
- Sprinkle with remaining bread crumbs and bacon.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
Delicious! I used a combination of butternut & acorn squash. Monterey Jack cheese melted beautifully. I didn't want to take the time to cook bacon so I used a jar of Hormel real bacon bits & used a few sprinkles of cheese on top too. Only change I would make is to mix 1/2 of bacon into squash next time and reserve 1/2 for top.